Monday, May 6, 2013

The Best Homemade Granola

  So granola has been a soft spot in Layton and My's house since day one.  We both absolutely love it!  So, when I found out that I couldn't have refined sugars anymore I started a major hunt for some good homemade recipes I could try.
  I found a few that were pretty good, but nothing that tasted like it had come from a box.  ;)  It was always missing those clumps of sugary, gooey-ness.  I kept a few, because some granola is better than none.  Granola and protein shakes are our quick fix breakfasts around here these days.
  So, my search continued... I had almost given up when a friend of mine, who has a blog that is really up and hopping, posted her granola recipe that she always makes.  I changed it up a little so that I could eat it, put it in the oven and our came gooey goodness.  It was perfect!
  The next morning Layton called me from work and asked if the granola was store bought.  I told him no and that I had made it the day before... he could not stop going on about how good it was.  So, I had to figure out what all the fuss was about.  I went and had some and it really is amazing.  So, I wanted to share THE BEST granola recipe out there!
  This past time I made Banana-Nut Granola, which is Layton's favorite.

These are my banana chips that is crushed up.  Mmmmmm....
I used unsweetened banana chips, but you could used sweetened if you preferred.
I buy mine in the bulk section at CM or Sprouts.
This is my bowl of oats and mix-ins.
For the banana nut granola I did 1/3 banana chips and 2/3 almonds.

Finished product!
I did a double batch since we go through it so fast.  :)
Totally yummy, you would never know that it didn't have sugar in it.


The Best Homemade Granola

  • 4 1/2 c. oats
  • 1/3 c. coconut oil
  • 1/3 c. agave
  • 1/3 c. maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 t. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 t. cinnamon (I usually do 1 t.)
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 3 c. add-ins (almonds, walnuts, pecans, craisins, apricots, banana chips, etc.)
-Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
-Melt coconut oil in medium sauce pan.  Whisk in agave, maple syrup, vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
-Pour over oats and mix-ins.  Spread evenly over baking sheet.
-Bake 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.

Here is where I got the original recipe:
http://www.packofwolfes.blogspot.com/2013/04/homemade-granola.html

~Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment