Thursday, May 30, 2013

DIY Recipe Box

  So, I thought I should post about the recipe box I did before I get lost in house decorating and remodeling posts. ;) 
  There were a few projects I was pushing to get done before the move and this was one of them.  Since I was to cook from stratch almost all the time an organized recipe box means a lot to me, and a cute one is definitely a perk. :)
  I now have two recipe boxes... one is full of the recipes I love but can no longer eat, and the other is full of the recipes I can eat and some of which I love.

  So here it is. I love how it turned out, though it took me a while to get here through a lot of clumsy mistakes, like spilling super-glue all over my kitchen table. =P
  It was pretty simple... I bought this box at JoAnns. They sell them in the wood section.  Used some leftover paint from another project that had primer in it (cuts out a step!). After the paint had dried I sanded down the edges and some other parts (it takes a little practice because you want to sand enough that it is noticable, but it is easy to do too much).
  Then we move on to the fun part of decorating! :)  I used mostly scrap paper.  I decided not to do an "H" because I have that on my other recipe box, so I got the creative juices flowing.  :)  I'm a huge fan of straight lines, combined with flowers and a little sparkle.  Nothing too fancy.  And then to add a little rustic edge I used stamps to do the title.

  This is the inside... You can do whatever dividers you want.  I go pretty basic. Appetizers--Beverages--Breakfasts--Sauces--Entrees--Pastas--Soups--Sides--and Desserts.  I did patterned papers that coordinated, but I have done just solids before which is really cute too.  I used the same stamps on the inside as on the outside.
  So, proof that you can be practical and organized, while still keeping things cute.  That is how you get to this girls heart.  ;)

  On a slightly different note... I have joined pinterest this week.  I told myself I wouldn't get sucked in, but we don't have internet at our house for now, so I figured I have limited access so I hopefully won't spend hours on end on there. But I have found a lot of great things so far and I am really excited since we are now in a place of our very own.  Lots of great things I look forward to doing.  For now we are working on our study... we picked it first because it should be the shortest and easiest project.  Pictures to come soon hopefully.  :)

~Have a wonderful day and a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment